Requirements Board Certified Coach

Application Requirements for National Certified Counselors (NCCs) or Fully State-Licensed Counselors

Master's or Ph.D. in counseling

Doctoral degree in a social or behavioral science (e.g., social work, education, health, business)

Master's degree or higher in social or behavioral sciences (e.g., social work, education, health, business)

Bachelor's degree or higher in any field

Recognized coaching credential and a bachelor’s degree or higher in any field

At least 2,500 hours of experience over a period of at least five years and a bachelor’s degree or higher in any field

Why the differences in requirements?

Subject matter experts performed a gap analysis, which revealed a significant crossover in counseling and coaching competencies. These experts compared coaching competencies gathered from more than 19 professional coaching textbooks and periodicals with counseling competencies measured by the National Counselor Examination (NCE).

The subject matter experts identified overlapping portions and independently verified that NCCs and fully state-licensed counselors have met many competencies through a rigorous measurement and credential verification process. To obtain a Board Certified Coach (BCC) credential, NCCs and fully state-licensed counselors are required to obtain coach-specific training to cover the educational gap related to the differences (or "gap") between coaching and counseling competencies.

Why are there different requirements for other social sciences?

Since CCE develops and administers the NCE, CCE was able to evaluate the overlap in coaching and counseling competencies. CCE would apply credit for overlapping competencies for other social sciences, such as social work and psychology, if CCE could verify that those competencies were covered in the respective credentialing verification processes. Credentialing bodies for other social sciences disciplines are welcome to contact CCE to assist in providing a similar gap analysis (e.g., between psychology and coaching).

Applicants with non-U.S. degrees: If you earned your degree(s) outside the United States, you will need to have the degree(s) evaluated by an international transcript evaluation service and submit the results of the international degree equivalency evaluation with your application to CCE. CCE accepts evaluations completed by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO); Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE); International Education Research Foundation, Inc. (IERF); and World Education Services, Inc. (WES).

Copyright ©2024 Center for Credentialing & Education | All rights reserved.